Tuesday, January 12, 2010

All kinds of theft

Lately, I've been having a problem with shoplifting. Somehow, with Tyler in the front of the cart, and Trevor's big car seat in the back, stuff gets hidden and I walk out of the store without paying for everything. The first time it happened, I was unloading the kids and found a candy bar (Ghiradelli 86% cacao- my weakness). Luckily James was with me, so I ran back in to pay for it. Then, twice last week it happened again. The first time I got outside of Staples and found some tape under Trevor's seat. I saw an employee on her way back into the store and asked her to bring it in for me since I'd already put Tyler and Trevor in the car. The very next day I was at Kohl's and Tyler was holding a toy to keep him busy while I shopped. Out at the car, unloading the stroller, I realized that he was still holding the Kohl's toy that I hadn't paid for. So, we all trekked back into the store to return it.
Today I got an email from my bank saying that we had overdrawn our account. What? We just checked it the yesterday. When I went online to check, I found a charge for some kind of theater ticket--$1464! James, is there something you want to tell me? But he was as surprised as I was. I spent some time on the phone with the bank, and it's a protected check card so we will get it all back. In a few days. Or maybe longer. They have to investigate a little to find out who else has been using our account.
Seeing that someone else has been using our money to go to a really expensive show makes me a little angry. At least when I steal stuff, I always go and return it!

9 comments:

  1. Hahaha! I think i remember talking about stealing things with you.....when Aislyn was a baby and hid things under her carseat in the cart. Except I would always wait till the next trip to that store since I always found my "stolen" goods AFTER getting everyone and all my groceries loaded in the car :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh! you're good to go back in right away, i think i would wait til next time too...at least your kids steal good and useful stuff, chocolate and tape. riley tried to steal some weird asian noodle bowl thing...i hope you get your money back asap. our card number got stolen somehow too awhile back and they spent like $400 on groceries, weird!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call my girls the "bandita's"
    they also sneak stuff into the cart when I'm not looking and end up buying because I'm in such a rush at the checkout that I don't pay attention to what I'm unloading! We have a million bags of m&m's and etch a sketch's...

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my defense. . . I didn't know you had a blog besides the "saving my pennies" blog. So, now I'm thrilled to keep up with your beautiful family! Seriously, your kids are so cute. And, I love how you are blaming them for your theft habits. By the way, do you still own a car that misses you when you are shopping? I suppose you got rid of it since it drew too much attention to you while you were trying to make your get-away. I loved that car though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. a good excuse, I guess...
    My car probably still misses me, but it keeps it all inside. The Eagle wouldn't have worked too well for any speedy get-aways- what with the door that wouldn't open and the occasional break downs. Good memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry about your bank card issues. My mom had money stolen from her while we were swimming not too long ago and it was such an awful feeling that somebody would be so dishonest and it felt like we had something stripped from us. Does that even make sense? Hopefully it gets resolved soon! And, hopefully you have repented now and won't steal from stores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had credit card issues too. What a hassle but at least it gets resolved pretty quickly because the bank must deal with this nonsense constantly. I guess our neighborhood has had a lot of break-ins lately too. Scary times, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got a really good laugh out of your shoplifting. I never would've guessed it! ;) Hope all the credit card mess gets sorted out. I hope the Christmas card didn't get sent back because of me.... you see, I am not very good at checking my mailbox.... oops! Do you have our address at 1010 N?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is crazy stuff! I went onto my bank account just to check for weird transactions... I will keep a closer eye on my statements! I have also had things hidden under the car seat and had to go back into the store hauling both kids to return it or pay for it. I am now in the habit of kneeling down and looking up at the shopping cart from different angles to make sure there are no hidden treasures under Isabella's car seat!

    ReplyDelete